A man was accused of sending threatening text messages via social media to his ex-wife on Sunday, Jan. 10, 2021. According to Kingston Police, the two had been involved in a lengthy relationship and marriage that dissolved approximately ten years prior to this most recent incident.
Over the course of this ten year separation the accused male was involved in numerous domestic related incidents involving the victim and was charged by police on multiple occasions, according to a release from Kingston Police, dated Monday, Jan 11, 2021.
At approximately 9:35 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 10, 2021 Kingston Police located the accused male in the area of Division Street and Stephen Street, according to the release. Police observed a survival style knife visible in his jacket pocket as he stepped out of a taxi at this location. Police say the knife fell from his jacket as he exited the taxi and he was immediately arrested. A search incident to arrest revealed that the accused was carrying a quantity of marijuana in clear baggies. Police say they also located a quantity of a substance suspected to hashish as well as a vile of suspected hash oil.
The accused was transported to police headquarters where he was held to attend a bail hearing the following day.
A 48-year-old local man was charged with harassment by threatening conduct, possess weapon dangerous to public peace and possession of cannabis for the purpose of selling it.
No one has the right to abuse another person. Victims of domestic violence or sexual assault and witnesses are encouraged to contact Kingston Police. The following links offer valuable support services and resources in the Kingston area for victims of domestic and/or sexual violence:
- Kingston Police (613-549-4660)
- Kingston Police Path of Strength Smartphone App
- Kingston Interval House
- Kingston Sexual Assault Centre
- Resolve Counselling Services Canada
- KFACC (Kingston Frontenac Anti-violence Coordinating Committee) and KFACC for men
- Victim Services of Kingston and Frontenac (613-548-4834)
- Addiction & Mental Health Services – Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Violence in the Family
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Victim Services Directory
- Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres