A violent altercation brought police to the home of a couple and an end to a volatile relationship that involved ongoing domestic violence.
At approximately 12:40 a.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 13, 2018, the accused man and the victim were in their west end home when an argument prompted the victim to go into the bathroom and lock the door. The accused man then kick the door open and pulled the victim out of the bathroom by her hair. The victim broke free and retreated to a spare bedroom.
A short while later, the accused man entered the spare bedroom and flipped the mattress on the bed, causing the victim to fall off the bed and roll into a wall. The man then smashed a valuable object belonging to the victim, according to a press release from Kingston Police.
The victim called 911 and the accused man was arrested at the residence. The ensuing investigation found that the accused man had repeatedly assaulted the victim over the past several months since their relationship began. The assaults included punching, kicking, and dragging the victim through their home. On at least two occasions, the accused man pulled a knife on the victim and threatened to kill her.
The 52-year-old Kingston man is charged with two counts of assault, mischief, assault with a weapon, uttering threats to cause death, and breach of a court order.
The following is a statement from Kingston Police:
No one has the right to abuse another person. Victims of domestic violence or sexual assault and witnesses are encouraged to contact Kingston Police. The following links offer valuable support services and resources in the Kingston area for victims of domestic and/or sexual violence:
- Kingston Police (613-549-4660)
- Kingston Police Path of Strength Smartphone App
- Kingston Interval House
- Kingston Sexual Assault Centre
- Resolve Counselling Services Canada
- KFACC (Kingston Frontenac Anti-violence Coordinating Committee)
- Victim Services of Kingston and Frontenac (613-548-4834)
- Addiction & Mental Health Services – Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Violence in the Family https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/family/violence.php
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Victim Services Directory
- Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres https://www.sadvtreatmentcentres.ca/