A domestic argument-turned-assault quickly came to an end thanks to a nearby witness intervening and some lucky timing.
The victim was inside her Concession Street residence at approximately 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 22, 2018. The accused, her common-law boyfriend, was outside “throwing a fit,” according to a press release from Kingston Police. A citizen nearby witnessed the accused male shouting and trying to smash the door as the victim attempted to keep the accused out of the residence. The male was able to push through the door and enter, and immediately began punching the victim in the face and body repeatedly. The witness crossed the road and being yelling at the accused male, who then turned his attention to her.
Luckily, as the witness and the male were arguing, a police cruiser drove into the area. The 56-year-old local man was arrested and is charged with assault and uttering threats to cause death.
Kingston Police would like to remind the public of the following:
No one has the right to abuse another person. Victims of domestic violence or sexual assault and witnesses are encouraged to contact Kingston Police. The following links offer valuable support services and resources in the Kingston area for victims of domestic and/or sexual violence:
- Kingston Police (613-549-4660)
- Kingston Police Path of Strength Smartphone App
- Kingston Interval House
- Kingston Sexual Assault Centre
- Resolve Counselling Services Canada
- KFACC (Kingston Frontenac Anti-violence Coordinating Committee)
For women: http://kfacc.org/ For men: http://kfacc.org/do-you-need-help/for-men/
- Victim Services of Kingston and Frontenac (613-548-4834) http://victimservicesontario.ca/
- Addiction & Mental Health Services – Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington https://www.amhs-kfla.ca/
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Violence in the Family https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/family/violence.php
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Victim Services Directory http://services.findhelp.ca/ovss/
- Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres https://www.sadvtreatmentcentres.ca/
- Canadian Centre for Men and Families