Kingston Police have arrested and charged a local man after he assaulted his domestic partner and then proceeded to harass her after their relationship ended.
The assault, which was not reported to police at the time, took place on Thursday, Sept. 6, 2018. On that date, during an argument, the accused man got on top of the victim, his girlfriend at the time, and started choking her. The couple later separated, however, in late October, the accused man became angry with the victim when she refused to visit him. The accused man began harassing the victim, sending over 200 Facebook and text messages to her in a 24 hour period. Some of the messages included threats. The accused man also created fake Facebook accounts and attempted to communicate and harass the victim’s family and friends.
On Monday, Nov. 5, the incidents were reported to police and a warrant was issued for the arrest of the accused man. Just under a month later, the accused man turned himself in at Kingston Police Headquarters on Monday, Dec. 3.
The 36-year-old Kingston man was charged with assault, uttering threats to cause death, harassment by repeated communication, harassment by threatening conduct, and uttering threats to cause bodily harm.
Kingston Police have issued the following statement:
No one has the right to abuse another person. Victims of domestic violence or sexual assault and witnesses are encouraged to contact Kingston Police. The following links offer valuable support services and resources in the Kingston area for victims of domestic and/or sexual violence:
- Kingston Police (613-549-4660)
- Kingston Police Path of Strength Smartphone App
- Kingston Interval House
- Kingston Sexual Assault Centre
- Resolve Counselling Services Canada
- KFACC (Kingston Frontenac Anti-violence Coordinating Committee)
- Victim Services of Kingston and Frontenac (613-548-4834)
- Addiction & Mental Health Services – Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Violence in the Family
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Victim Services Directory
- Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres