The Limestone Student Achievers Awards for 2021 were announced at the Limestone District School Board of Trustees regular meeting on Wednesday, May 19, 2021.
Eleven secondary students were recognized for their outstanding achievements and exceptional accomplishments which merit recognition beyond the separate categories of awards at the school level, according to a release from the Limestone District School Board (LDSB). Recipients should have demonstrated exemplary achievement in all three categories: leadership; positive attitude, energy, and school spirit; and academic standing.
The award recipients are as follows:
- Emily Swaine, Bayridge Secondary School
- Ashley Loyst, Loyalist Collegiate & Vocational Institute
- Violet Derbyshire, La Salle Secondary School
- Diana Weichenthal, North Addington Education Centre
- Ashley Groth, Napanee District Secondary School
- Annika Putnam, Sydenham High School
- Grace Guigue, Granite Ridge Education Centre
- Heather Craig, Ernestown Secondary School
- Anas Alsawal, Katarokwi Learning Centre
- Zahraa Abdul Hassan, Frontenac Secondary School
- Namirah Quadir, Kingston Secondary School
In congratulating the recipients, Board Chair Suzanne Ruttan said the achievements of these exemplary students make our schools better. “These students inspire their fellow students, staff and community members alike. This award recognizes their exemplary contributions to strategic priorities of wellness, collaboration, and innovation in supporting others during the school year,” she said.
Each student will receive a medal, a framed award certificate and a lapel pin. Their names will be recorded on a plaque and displayed in the Barry C. O’Connor Board Room at the Education Centre.
Director of Education Krishna Burra said the Limestone Student Achievers presentation is a highlight of Board Meeting calendar for both Trustees and staff. “These students are truly bright lights in an otherwise very challenging year. Their contributions to our strategic priorities of wellness, collaboration, and innovation in supporting others during the school year is exemplary,” he said. “Regardless of where these students are headed after graduation, it is clear they will continue to make a positive and significant impact, and forever be wonderful ambassadors of the Limestone District School Board.”
Profiles of each student can be found on the LDSB website.