Kingston Transit is implementing changes and increasing service beginning Monday, Aug 31, 2020, the City of Kingston said in a statement released today, Monday Aug, 17, 2020.
Front-door boarding and fare collection returns
Passengers on all Kingston Transit buses will return to boarding buses at the front door and resume paying the fare. In order to support physical distancing measures, passengers are required to enter through the front door and exit through the rear door, if possible. Those with disabilities, strollers, carts, or other needs will still be permitted to exit using the front door.
Transit passes are available to purchase at sales outlets beginning today, Monday Aug. 17, 2020. Visit KingstonTransit.ca to learn more about the different fares and passes available.
Increased service will begin on Monday, Aug. 31, 2020. Passengers are encouraged to review the updated schedule and plan their trip in advance. Updated schedules are available at KingstonTransit.ca/Schedules and on Google Maps, TransitApp or Moovit app.
- Local Routes: All local routes return to pre-pandemic schedules with the exception of Route 18 (Train Station Circuit), which remains suspended until further notice. There are minor adjustments to arrival and departure times on some routes.
- Express Routes: All express routes will operate with 30-minute service from approximately 6 a.m. – midnight. During morning and afternoon peak periods, 15-minute service will be provided on all express routes, with the exception of routes 801/802 which will continue to operate on 30-minute service.
- All express and local routes return to pre-pandemic schedules with the exception of Route 18, (Transit Station Circuit) which remains suspended until further notice. There are minor adjustments to arrival and departure times on some routes.
Monthly Transit Passes Automatic Extensions, as stated in the City of Kingston release:
- had previously purchased monthly passes do not need to visit a sales outlet to update their pass. Pass expiry date extensions will occur automatically.
- had purchased a March 2020 monthly transit pass will have their passes automatically extended at no charge until Sept. 30, 2020.
- had purchased both a March and April 2020 monthly transit pass will have their passes automatically extended at no charge until October 31, 2020.
- had active monthly transit passes beyond April 2020 will have their passes automatically extended by the number of months that they pre-purchased at no charge.
Employee Transit Passes (Transpass) Automatic Extension
Any employee who had an active employee transit pass in March 2020 will have their pass automatically extended at no charge until Sept. 30. Employees who wish to enroll or unenroll in the employee pass program should contact their employer for more information.
Ontario Works Transit Passes
Passes issued to Ontario Works clients will be renewed automatically for eligible clients. Clients uncertain about their ongoing eligibility for a transit pass should contact their Ontario Works case manager for more information. A client with a lost or broken transit pass can have their pass replaced at City Hall or Cataraqui Centre guest services.
Ontario Disability Support Program Passes
Passes issued to Ontario Disability Support Program clients will be renewed automatically for eligible clients. Clients uncertain about their ongoing eligibility for a transit pass should contact the ODSP Kingston office by phone at 613-545-4553. A client with a lost or broken transit pass should contact the ODSP Kingston Office by phone at 613-545-4553 for assistance.
Municipal Fee Assistance Program (MFAP) Affordable Transit Pass
Passengers with a MFAP eligibility card that expired or expires between March and October 2020 will continue to be eligible to purchase an affordable monthly transit pass for September and October 2020. Passengers with an expired MFAP eligibility card must contact the City’s Housing and Social Services department to update their eligibility to purchase an affordable transit pass for November 2020.
High School Student Passes
The high school student pass program will continue for the 2020-21 academic year. More information about high school transit pass renewals will be made available by Aug. 21. Students should not visit a sales outlet to renew their pass at this time.
Queen’s University and St. Lawrence College Students:
Kingston Transit will be offering a new post-secondary student pass for the fall semester in collaboration with The Alma Mater Society of Queen’s University and The Student Association of St. Lawrence College. Eligible students attending either post-secondary institution will have the option to purchase the pass online at KingstonTransit.ca/Students starting Aug. 24. The semester pass will be available for $119 valid from Sept. 1, 2020 until Jan. 3, 2021.
Protect yourself and other passengers
Masks or other face coverings are required while riding Kingston Transit. Passengers are reminded to wear face coverings throughout their entire trip. Please be kind and remember that not all disabilities and medical conditions are visible, and some riders may not be able to wear a face covering.
As transit ridership increases, there may be occasions where physical distancing will not be possible. KFL&A Public Health has indicated that buses can operate at regular capacity with the use of face coverings and other measures, including enhanced cleaning and hand hygiene. Additional service will help to reduce overcrowding and bus seats will continue to be restricted as long as possible.
The City of Kingston offers this reminder:
We are all on this ride together and we would like to remind passengers to follow these health and safety guidelines when riding with Kingston Transit:
- Practice hand hygiene by using alcohol-based sanitizer and washing your hands before and after taking transit.
- Avoid travel during peak hours, whenever possible, and only use transit when you need to.
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow.
- Do not taking transit when you are sick or have symptoms.
- Enter through the front door and exit through the rear door to maintain one-way flow.
For more information, visit https://www.cityofkingston.ca/residents/transit/