Those in the Kingscourt District of downtown Kingston may be more tired than on a usual Monday after an armed standoff between police and a local man closed an area just off of Concession Street and appeared to involve the evacuation of some residents on Sunday night.
Kingston Police were called to a Grey Street address, just off of Concession Street across from the Kingston Memorial Centre grounds, at approximately 8:40 p.m. on Sunday, Jul. 3, 2022. According to police, they received reports of a disturbance at the residence indicating that the victim involved – the father of the accused person – was in the kitchen of the home when the accused individual confronted him about packages that had been delivered there. Those packages, Kingston Police said, were addressed to another member of the family.
“An argument ensued in regards to who had right of ownership of these packages even though they were clearly not addressed to the accused,” Kingston Police said in a press release on Monday, Jul. 4, 2022.
“During the argument, the accused uttered threats to kill the victim. The victim was able to flee from the residence unharmed and police were contacted.”
Police noted that the accused suspect had indicated the possible use of a firearm when the threats were made.
Kingston Police general patrol officers, as well as members of the Emergency Response Unit, set up a containment area around the residence in question. Grey Street was closed between Concession Street and First Avenue as a result.
Hours passed as armed officers lined Grey Street, including those in what is generally referred to as ‘tactical gear,’ which was quickly noticed by those in the area. A Kingston Transit bus was brought into the containment area and appeared to evacuate residents from the buildings surrounding the house where the suspect was inside, refusing to leave. Kingston Police could not confirm this detail, but indicated that more information will be provided as it is collected from those officers who were on the scene.
At approximately 1:20 a.m. – nearly five hours after the initial incident between the family members — officers with the Emergency Response Unit entered the residence and located the suspect in the basement of the home. Despite the suspect’s reference to using a firearm earlier in the incident, police said that no gun was located at the scene. The accused person was taken into custody.
According to Kingston Police, the 30-year-old Kingston resident was charged with uttering threats to cause death, and breach of probation.
This article will be updated if/when more information becomes available.