Kingston Police: Enraged cyclist caused disturbance, delayed transit

Stock photo of a Kingston Transit bus by Dominic Owens.

A Kingston Transit bus was delayed by a local cyclist who pulled in front of the bus while yelling, screaming, and hitting the front window on Sunday, Jun. 23, 2019.

At approximately 2:45 p.m. the accused man was observed by a Kingston Transit bus driver near the intersection of Brock Street and Alfred Street in downtown Kingston. The bus driver saw accused man riding a bicycle and attempting to flag her down as she merged back into traffic after completing one of her scheduled stops on Brock Street. The bus driver did not stop for the accused as it was unsafe to do so after merging back into traffic.

Continuing along her route to Bath Road and Sir John A. Macdonald Boulevard, the bus driver observed the accused approaching from the rear of the bus. The accused pulled in front of the bus as she waited at a red light at the intersection. He then got off of his bicycle and removed a child from the rear bicycle seat, placing the child down on the roadway. The accused proceeded to block the bus with his bicycle, preventing the bus from moving.

The accused man then approached the front of the bus and began yelling, screaming, and hitting the front window. The accused also began taking pictures of the bus driver. Passengers on the bus became concerned in regards to the disturbance, as well as the welfare of the child who had been left in traffic.

The Kingston Transit bus was delayed for several minutes while the accused caused the disturbance. He eventually placed the child back in the bicycle seat and departed westbound on Bath Road after failing to stop for a red light at the intersection of Sir John A. Macdonald Boulevard. The accused stopped and delayed the bus for a second time further west on Bath Road. The delays affected numerous Kingston Transit passengers, routes, and transfers.

Police were notified about the incident on Monday, June 24, 2019. Further investigation revealed the identity of the accused, who police then contacted. The accused initially refused to meet with police, but attended police headquarters on Wednesday, July 10, 2019, where he was subsequently arrested. He was later released on conditions with a future court date.

The 50-year-old local man was charged with causing a disturbance and obstruction of the lawful use of property under $5,000.



  1. Glenn July 11, 2019
  2. paul goudreau July 11, 2019
  3. Jane July 12, 2019
  4. Tom July 15, 2019
    • Tori Stafford July 15, 2019

Leave a Reply