Kingston Police arrest local male for impaired and dangerous driving

A local man is facing three charges after his dangerous and impaired driving came to and end after a single vehicle collision. The driver collided with the fence along the property of Regiopolis Notre Dame secondary school after attempting to turn onto Stephen Street from Division Street at a high rate of speed. Photo by Cody Stafford.

A male driver that caused a single vehicle collision is now facing charges after he was found to be under the influence of alcohol following a collision with the fencing around the football field at Regiopolis Notre Dame secondary school.

At approximately 6 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 30, 2020, witnesses observed the accused driver travelling at a high rate of speed on Division Street approaching Stephen Street. The driver then attempted to turn eastbound onto Stephen Street, however, he lost control of the vehicle, which came to rest after colliding with the chain link fence, very near to the busy intersection.

According to police, witnesses in the area attempted to aid the driver, who initially lost consciousness as a result of the collision. Shortly thereafter, the driver was able to exit the vehicle on his own.

Police arrived at the scene at approximately 6:05 p.m., and Kingston Fire and Rescue and Frontenac Paramedics also attended the scene. Officers attempted to speak with the driver in question, however, he was uncooperative and refused to answer any questions with regard to the collision he had just been in.

\Kingston Fire and Rescue, Kingston Police, and Frontenac Paramedics all attended the scene of the collision, which closed down Stephen Street for a short while as police gathered evidence. Photo by Cody Stafford.

One of the officers on the scene was able to identify the accuse man with photo identification, and also made observations that the man was impaired by alcohol. The accused was placed under arrest and transported to Kingston General Hospital by Frontenac Paramedics. There, the man refused to provide a suitable breath sample to police.

The accused man was later transported to Kingston Police Headquarters. His driver’s licence was automatically suspended for 90 days, and he will face a minimal one-year suspension if convicted. Additionally, the man’s vehicle was seized and impounded for seven days, and he will be responsible for all related fees and fines.

The 30-year-old Kingston man was charged with:

  • Impaired operation of a conveyance (vehicle)
  • Failure to provide a breath sample
  • Dangerous operation of a motor vehicle
Kingston Police blocked Stephen Street at the intersection with Division Street after the collision occurred. Photo by Cody Stafford.

Leave a Reply

You cannot copy content from this page, please share the link instead!