A 42-year-old Kingston man who had been previously arrested after assaulting a female victim – his wife of approximately seven years – is now facing further charges.
The accused was witnessed using a cell phone at a west end restaurant at approximately 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Apr. 30, 2019. The witness was aware that the accused was not permitted to own a cell phone under his court imposed release conditions.
The witness visited the victim at the food court of the Cataraqui Centre shortly after, and noticed the accused man walking by at approximately 2 p.m. The victim began to fear for her safety, and, after being informed of the accused man’s behavior, mall security observed the accused walking by the victim’s workplace before leaving.
After being contacted at approximately 3:15 p.m., the police called the accused man’s cell phone. When the accused man was questioned about possessing a cell phone in violation of his release conditions, the accused hung up.
The accused was arrested at his court-approved Cornwall address by Cornwall Police. Kingston Police continued the arrest and transported the accused to Kingston Police Headquarters, where he was held for a Wednesday, May 1, 2019 bail hearing. The accused was charged with criminal harassment by threatening conduct and two counts breach recognizance.
The following is a statement from Kingston Police:
No one has the right to abuse another person. Victims of domestic violence or sexual assault and witnesses are encouraged to contact Kingston Police. The following links offer valuable support services and resources in the Kingston area for victims of domestic and/or sexual violence:
- Kingston Police (613-549-4660)
- Kingston Police Path of Strength Smartphone App
- Kingston Interval House
- Kingston Sexual Assault Centre
- Resolve Counselling Services Canada
- KFACC (Kingston Frontenac Anti-violence Coordinating Committee) and KFACC for men
- Victim Services of Kingston and Frontenac (613-548-4834)
- Addiction & Mental Health Services – Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Violence in the Family
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Victim Services Directory
- Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres