A local man was arrested and is facing charges after assaulting his common-law partner who forcefully awakened him, fearing he was in medical distress.
At approximately 2:15 p.m. on Sunday, Mar. 20, 2022, the victim returned home from work after being unable to reach the accused, common-law, by phone, according to a release from Kingston Police.
“The victim found the accused unconscious in an upstairs bedroom and was unable to wake him,” police said. “Fearing he was in medical distress the victim threw water on the accused who then woke up. An argument ensued over the incident and their relationship. The arguing escalated into a physical altercation and the accused began pushing the victim. When the victim grabbed a broomstick to defend herself the accused broke it in two. The accused continued to push the victim, causing her to fall. He then dragged her by the legs, at which point she lost consciousness.”
Police and ambulance attended the residence, according to the release. The victim was transported to hospital by ambulance for treatment of her injuries.
The accused was arrested by police, and was transported to police headquarters where he was held to attend a bail hearing the following day.
A 54-year-old local man was charged with assault and mischief, under the Criminal Code of Canada.
The following is a message from Kingston Police:
No one has the right to abuse another person. Victims of domestic violence or sexual assault and witnesses are encouraged to contact Kingston Police. The following links offer valuable support services and resources in the Kingston area for victims of domestic and/or sexual violence:
- Kingston Police (613-549-4660)
- Kingston Police Path of Strength Smartphone App
- Kingston Interval House
- Kingston Sexual Assault Centre
- Resolve Counselling Services Canada
- KFACC (Kingston Frontenac Anti-violence Coordinating Committee) and KFACC for men
- Victim Services of Kingston and Frontenac (613-548-4834)
- Addiction & Mental Health Services – Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Violence in the Family
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Victim Services Directory
- Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres
- Canadian Centre for Men and Families