A violent incident that brought neighbours to the door of a local couple also brought two charges to a local man, who is accused of domestic assault.
The incident occurred on Tuesday, Jan. 29 at approximately 1 p.m., when the accused man and his victim began arguing while they were staying at a friend’s apartment in mid-town. The accused man became violent and neighbouring tenants overheard the commotion. One of the neighbours went to the door of the apartment where the incident was taking place and began knocking and yelling in an attempt to interrupt the assault. The same neighbour began recording the conflict and recorded the accused man threatening to kill the victim.
Police were called and responding officers found both the accused man and the victim still inside the residence. According to Kingston Police, the victim was coughing uncontrollably and had visible marks on her neck.
The accused man, a 33-year-old from Kingston, was arrested and charged with assault and uttering threats to cause death.
The following is a statement from Kingston Police:
No one has the right to abuse another person. Victims of domestic violence or sexual assault and witnesses are encouraged to contact Kingston Police. The following links offer valuable support services and resources in the Kingston area for victims of domestic and/or sexual violence:
- Kingston Police (613-549-4660)
- Kingston Police Path of Strength Smartphone App
- Kingston Interval House
- Kingston Sexual Assault Centre
- Resolve Counselling Services Canada
- KFACC (Kingston Frontenac Anti-violence Coordinating Committee) and KFACC for men
- Victim Services of Kingston and Frontenac (613-548-4834)
- Addiction & Mental Health Services – Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Violence in the Family
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Victim Services Directory
- Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres
- Canadian Centre for Men and Families