Kingston Police have charged a local man with assault, assault by choking, and mischief under $5,000.
According to police, witnesses observed the male suspect and female victim fighting on the KP Trail near McIvor Rd on Wednesday, Jul. 15, 2020, around 6:20 p.m. Police were notified and responded, and found the the two people still in the area.
Police say they learned that previously, on Sunday, Jul. 12, 2020, the two had been involved in a domestic dispute in their home, when the victim expressed her wish to end the relationship. According to police, this angered the suspect, who allegedly pushed her down onto a bed and held her down by the arms. Police report that he then proceeded to choke the victim for several seconds, rendering her temporarily unable to breathe.
Further police investigation revealed that earlier in the day on Wednesday, Jul. 15, while in the parking lot of a Midland Avenue store, the suspect had again become angry with the victim after she spoke to him about ending their relationship. The suspect reportedly grabbed the victim’s phone from her and bent it, causing it to break.
Police arrested the suspect at approximately 6:55 p.m. and transported him to police headquarters where he was held to attend a bail hearing the following day.
A 22-year-old local man was charged with assault, assault/choking, and mischief under $5000.
Information from Kingston Police for victims of assault / domestic violence
No one has the right to abuse another person. Victims of domestic violence or sexual assault and witnesses are encouraged to contact Kingston Police. The following links offer valuable support services and resources in the Kingston area for victims of domestic and/or sexual violence:
- Kingston Police (613-549-4660)
- Kingston Police Path of Strength Smartphone App
- Kingston Interval House
- Kingston Sexual Assault Centre
- Resolve Counselling Services Canada
- KFACC (Kingston Frontenac Anti-violence Coordinating Committee) and KFACC for men
- Victim Services of Kingston and Frontenac(613-548-4834)
- Addiction & Mental Health Services – Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Violence in the Family
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Victim Services Directory
- Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres