A local man has been arrested following a domestic dispute that became physical in the city’s east end.
On Monday, Jun. 10, 2019 at approximately 10:20 a.m., the accused man and female victim engaged in an argument at a residence south of Highway 401 near Grass Creek Park in the city’s east end. Both individuals had been in a relationship for approximately two years.
The argument escalated quickly when the accused man destroyed the victim’s cellphone. When the victim attempted to leave the residence with their infant, the accused man punched the female victim in the back and leg before proceeding to pull at her hair. The victim fled from the residence and a Good Samaritan, who witnessed the dispute, drove her to safety.
Police responded and, at approximately 12:05 p.m., the arrested the accused man who was still at the residence.
The 20-year-old local man has been charged with assault, and mischief under $5,000.
The following is a statement from Kingston Police:
No one has the right to abuse another person. Victims of domestic violence or sexual assault and witnesses are encouraged to contact Kingston Police. The following links offer valuable support services and resources in the Kingston area for victims of domestic and/or sexual violence:
- Kingston Police (613-549-4660)
- Kingston Police Path of Strength Smartphone App
- Kingston Interval House
- Kingston Sexual Assault Centre
- Resolve Counselling Services Canada
- KFACC (Kingston Frontenac Anti-violence Coordinating Committee) and KFACC for men
- Victim Services of Kingston and Frontenac (613-548-4834)
- Addiction & Mental Health Services – Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Violence in the Family
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Victim Services Directory
- Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres