Kingston Frontenacs collecting toys for KHSC pediatric patients
The Kingston Frontenacs have partnered with the University Hospitals Kingston Foundation to create a toy drive in support of Pediatrics and the Child Life Program at Kingston Health Sciences Centre (KHSC).
Every year, the Kingston Frontenacs junior Ontario Hockey League (OHL) ice hockey team hosts a Teddy Bear Toss game. Due to the pandemic, this year the team was unable to do so, and missed out on the collection of hundreds of plush toys for local children.
Now, they are asking people to bring new and unwrapped toys to their donation bins, located at The Fronts Shop (Leon’s Centre, 1 The Tragically Hip Way, Kingston, Ontario). Donations can be made on Fridays (11:00am-5:00pm) and Saturdays (11:00am-4:00pm). Items must be new and in a package that can be wiped off. No open packages will be accepted.
Anyone that donates will receive 15 per cent off at The Fronts Shop in store.
The Child Life Program
Through play activities, preparation and support, the Child Life team at KHSC actively engages patients and helps them cope with their illness, treatment and their time in the hospital.
The team focuses on the social and emotional impact of illness and hospitalization, and promotes a positive hospital experience for children.
They use play as a tool for socialization, expression of feelings, and learning and provide therapeutic play to ehance coping. They also work as advocates for the needs of children and families. Learn more here.
Full Toy Drive Details:
Where: The Front Shop, 1 The Tragically Hip Way, Kingston, Ontario (Leon’s Centre)
- Friday, Dec. 4, 2020 – 11:00am – 5:00pm
- Saturday, Dec. 5, 2020 – 11:00am – 4:00pm
- Friday, Dec. 11, 2020 – 11:00am – 5:00pm
- Saturday, Dec. 12, 2020 – 11:00am – 4:00pm
- Friday, Dec. 18, 2020 – 11:00am – 5:00pm
- Saturday, Dec. 19, 2020 – 11:00am – 4:00pm
Suggested donations include:
- Crayons and coloring books
- Children’s toothbrushes, hair brushes, underwear, soap
- Rattles for the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- Gift cards (Toys R Us, Walmart or Michaels)
- Tim Horton’s gift cards for parents of children that are in the hospital
All donated toys will be provided to at Kingston Health Sciences Centre.
Special notes: Items must be new and in a package that can be wiped off. Toys must be unwrapped. No open packages will be accepted