fbpx

John Counter Boulevard overpass complete, road to reopen November 13

Luke Follwell, Director of Engineering Services for the City of Kingston (left) and City Councillor Simon Chapelle (right) hold out a ribbon for Mayor Bryan Paterson (centre) to cut at the opening of the new overpass on John Counter Blvd. Thursday, Nov. 12, 2020. Photo: Samantha Butler-Hassan

Construction of the rail overpass on John Counter Boulevard is complete. City staff said the stretch between Princess Street and Sir John A. Macdonald Boulevard will begin clearing this afternoon, and be open in time for the morning commute on Friday, Nov. 13, 2020. 

“This is an exciting moment, the culmination of a 10-year project, one of the largest in the city’s history,” said Kingston Mayor Bryan Paterson.  “Ten years ago I’d just been elected to council, and one of the first decisions we made was to approve this project. This is exactly the mark of a growing city.”

This opening marks a major milestone for the John Counter Boulevard Expansion Project, which will fully conclude in early 2021 after more than a decade of engineering work and five phases of construction. 

The overpass completes the widening of John Counter Boulevard to four lanes from Princess to Division. The City said this will improve transportation along this arterial route by eliminating delays caused by trains, while enhancing options for active transportation in the area.

“Whether you travel by car, transit, bike or another form of active transportation, this important link will make it easier for residents to move throughout Kingston,” Paterson said.

“I know that I share the community’s enthusiasm in seeing the overpass completed. I’m grateful for all the hard work that went into getting the project delivered on time and on budget and that the finished overpass includes sustainable modes of travel.” He noted that the project had been unaffected by the COVID-19 pandemic. 

The remaining work on the John Counter Boulevard Expansion Project includes watermain and turtle-fencing installation, set to continue over the coming months. Kingston Transit Routes 7 and 16 will resume their regular routes as of start-of-service Friday, Nov. 13, 2020.

City staff, crew and media gather prior to the opening of the overpass on Thursday, Nov. 12, 2020. Photo: Samantha Butler-Hassan
Kingston Transit bus and a cyclist set off to take inaugural trip across the newly opened overpass on John Counter Boulevard. Thursday, Nov. 12, 2020. Photo: Logan Cadue.
Mayor Bryan Paterson speaks at the opening of the bridge on Thursday, Nov. 12, 2020. Photo, Samantha Butler-Hassan
Kingston Transit bus and cyclist set take inaugural trip across the newly opened overpass on John Counter Boulevard. Thursday, Nov. 12, 2020. Photo: Logan Cadue.

0 Shares

Samantha Butler-Hassan, Local Journalism Initiative

Samantha Butler-Hassan is a staff writer and life-long Kingston resident. She is a news junkie and mom who loves reading and exploring the community. This article has been made possible with the support of the Local Journalism Initiative.

Leave a Reply