Kingston Police received a series of calls at approximately 9:15 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 11, 2018 regarding a vehicle driving around the area of Princess and Albert Streets with a woman yelling out the window that she had been kidnapped.
Responding officers began checking the area and found the vehicle when responding to another call of a domestic dispute. When police arrived there, the male was standing beside the vehicle with a beer in his hand. The female was found inside the residence.
After speaking with witnesses, officers learned that the male had arrived earlier and pulled the female into his vehicle before speeding off. Approximately 20 minutes later, the victim returned, but the male returned shortly thereafter and the two began arguing.
The accused man was arrested for impaired operation of a motor vehicle and taken to Kingston Police Headquarters where he provided two breath samples and was found to have approximately two times the legal limit of alcohol in his system.
The 26-year-old man from Battersea is charged with assault, forcible confinement, impaired driving, and operating a vehicle with over 80 mg of alcohol in his system. His driver’s licence is automatically suspended for 90 days, and he will face a one-year suspension if convicted. His vehicle was seized and impounded for seven, and the accused will be responsible for all associated fees and fines.
Kingston Police have released the following statement:
No one has the right to abuse another person. Victims of domestic violence or sexual assault and witnesses are encouraged to contact Kingston Police. The following links offer valuable support services and resources in the Kingston area for victims of domestic and/or sexual violence:
- Kingston Police (613-549-4660)
- Kingston Police Path of Strength Smartphone App
- Kingston Interval House
- Kingston Sexual Assault Centre
- Resolve Counselling Services Canada
- KFACC (Kingston Frontenac Anti-violence Coordinating Committee)
- Victim Services of Kingston and Frontenac (613-548-4834) http://victimservicesontario.ca/
- Addiction & Mental Health Services – Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington https://www.amhs-kfla.ca/
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Violence in the Family https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/family/violence.php
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Victim Services Directory http://services.findhelp.ca/ovss/
- Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres https://www.sadvtreatmentcentres.ca/