UPDATE (Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2023):
After an inmate died at Millhaven Institution on Sunday, Jan. 8, 2023, the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP)-led Joint Forces Penitentiary Squad has charged a current inmate at the facility.
Victor James, age 29, who had been serving a sentence of seven years and 10 months for aggravated assault, break and entry with intent, forcible confinement, and other offences, which commenced on May 2, 2019, was pronounced deceased after being located with life-threatening injuries on the above date, according to the OPP.
In a media release, the accused was identified as Stanton David, a current inmate at the Millhaven facility. He was charged with second degree murder, and is scheduled to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice in Napanee later this month.
The investigation, under the direction of the OPP Criminal Investigation Branch, has been conducted in conjunction with the Correctional Services of Canada (CSC) and the Office of the Chief Coroner and Forensic Pathology Service, OPP stated.
The death of an inmate who was seriously assaulted is currently under investigation, according to the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP).
According to a media release from police, the OPP-led Joint Forces Penitentiary Squad is leading the investigation after an inmate was been located at Millhaven Institution with life-threatening injuries on Sunday, Jan. 8, 2023. The Penitentiary Squad responded after receiving the report from the Correctional Service of Canada (CSC).
Victor James, age 29, was later pronounced deceased.
In response to Kingstonist inquiries, Bill Dickson, Acting Manager of Media Relations for the OPP East Region said, “As this is an ongoing investigation, we cannot discuss details related to potential evidence in the matter, or speculate on who may have been involved.”
Inquiries to CSC on whether the inmate was transported to hospital, and if a weapon or other inmates were involved received similar response.
“Because this incident is being investigated, we are unfortunately unable to provide you with further details. Should more information become available and charges be laid, the OPP will be able to provide additional details,” said Michael Shrider, Regional Communications Manager for CSC.
According to CSC, the inmate had been serving a sentence of seven years and 10 months for aggravated assault, break and entry with intent, forcible confinement, and other offences, which commenced on May 2, 2019.
The investigation by the Penitentiary Squad, under the direction of the OPP Criminal Investigation Branch, with the assistance of Correctional Services of Canada and in conjunction with the Office of the Chief Coroner and Forensic Pathology Service, is ongoing, OPP said.