Improper disposal of smoking materials suspected cause of Kingston house fire

The small cul-de-sac on Winford Place was filled with emergency services vehicles on the afternoon of Monday, Apr. 15, 2024, after a fire broke out at a residence there at approximately 1:30 p.m. Photo by Cris Vilela/Kingstonist.

A substantial house fire in Kingston’s west end has led to fire crews racing to the address two days in a row.

At approximately 1:30 p.m., Kingston Fire & Rescue crews were dispatched to a residence on the cul-de-sac of Winford Place, a small residential street near the intersection of Bayridge Drive and Old Colony Road. Within minutes of that time, plumes of smoke filled the area, and flames could be seen rising from the roof at the back of the home from Bayridge Drive.

“On arrival, flames were visible coming from the rear of the house. Fire crews connected to a fire hydrant and proceeded to the rear of the building where they extinguished the fire that was consuming the siding of the house,” Kingston Fire & Rescue relayed to Kingstonist through the City of Kingston’s communications team.

When firefighters entered the home, they observed “light smoke conditions” and proceeded to the attic where active flames were visible, according to the local fire department.

“Shortly after, the fire was extinguished and a search of the building was completed,” Kingston Fire & Rescue said, noting that a dog was rescued from the home and that a cat who fled the house during the fire was later located alive.

There were no injuries as a result of the blaze, the fire department said, and crews had cleared the scene within two hours and 40 minutes.

However, the following day around 1:10 p.m. – almost 24 hours after the initial fire broke out – Kingston Fire & Rescue crews were once again dispatched to the Winford Place address. On scene for less than an hour, the fire department later confirmed the crews had attended to tend to (and extinguish) hot spot flare-ups attributed to the initial fire.

According to Kingston Fire & Rescue, the cause of the fire is suspected to have been the improper disposal of smoking materials, and the cost of the damages incurred in the fire is estimated at $50,000.

Leave a Reply

You cannot copy content from this page, please share the link instead!