Greater Napanee fire crews rescue owner, dog from structure fire

A Greater Napanee firefighter carries a dog to safety following a fire on Bridge Street West on Sunday morning. Photo via Greater Napanee Emergency Services Deputy Chief Bill Hammond (twitter.com/DChief813)

Greater Napanee Emergency Services responded to a structure fire on Bridge Street West in Greater Napanee on Sunday morning, rescuing a resident and a beloved family dog in the process.

Preliminary reports indicate that the structure fire began in the garage shortly before 9:30 a.m. and quickly involved multiple vehicles and a large portion of the house.

Mohawk Fire and Stone Mills fire crews also attended the scene for mutual aid.

The resident suffered serious but non-life-threatening injuries in the fire, and was taken to hospital for further treatment.

Greater Napanee Emergency Services said it could have been much worse and thanked its partners for their support. “While any home fire is devastating, this could have been far worse. Thank you [to] our Crews and mutual aid partners for responding today. You continue to step up when your community needs you!”

Greater Napanee Emergency Services Deputy Chief Bill Hammond also took the opportunity to praise the homeowner for his quick thinking and to share a public safety message after the fire. “We remind residents to close doors behind them in a fire and stay out once exited. Pictures show what the interior door held back. House may have smoke and water damage but property and lives were saved.”

Leave a Reply

You cannot copy content from this page, please share the link instead!