Five residents displaced following Rideau St fire
Five tenants have been displaced following a fire in a multi-residential building at 275 Rideau St on the afternoon of Wednesday, Aug. 11, 2021, according to the City of Kingston.
“Yesterday at approximately 4:30 p.m., Kingston Fire & Rescue (KFR) crews were dispatched to a fire in a semi-detached dwelling in the 200 Block of Rideau Street,” the City confirmed.
“Tenants were alerted to the fire by a working smoke alarm, and were able to safely evacuate the residence. Firefighters quickly brought the fire under control,” the City said, confirming that five tenants were displaced as a result of the incident.
“Fire Prevention attended the scene and determined the cause of the fire was an overheated motor in an older model refrigerator,” KFR advised, estimating the damage to the unit at about $5,000.
KFR reminds all residents that working smoke and CO alarms save lives.