A fire on John Street Saturday evening caused damages estimated at $88,000. Approximately six individuals were displaced as a result of the incident.
At approximately 9 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 28, 2021, Kingston Fire & Rescue (KFR) crews responded to the reported structure fire on John Street. Upon arrival, crews worked quickly to extinguish the fire, caused by smoker’s materials coming in contact with furniture, according to KFR.
KFR wishes to remind residents that smoking is a leading cause of fatal home fires, and encourages individuals to smoke outdoors and to always place their cigarette butts in large, deep ashtrays that cannot be knocked over.