Guide to Locally Sourced Food
While struggling through my New Year’s resolution in January 2010, I wrote Rise of the Locavore, which detailed my desire to dive further into the local food movement. I did not expect it to generate much feedback, however it went on to serve as a focal point for local and fresh food addicts, who provided tips on everything from their favourite local market to community supported agriculture (CSA). Nearly a year and a half later, and I am proud to say that I have continued to support locally sourced foods. So much so that I decided to draft a comprehensive list of vegetable, fruit, meat, poultry and dairy producers, spanning from Picton to Lansdowne and all parts in between. As complete as I’ve attempted to make this 50 (or so) kilometre diet list, I’m sure there are some gaps, so please help fill in the blanks by sharing your favourite producers of local, mouthwatering, edible treats.
Vegetables and Herbs
- Cairnlee Farms, 613-382-0482, 2327 Hiscocks Rd., Gananoque: vegetables, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, salad greens and garlic.
- Clover Gardens, 613-928-2850, 228 County Rd. 42, Delta: organic market with 45 varieties of vegetables and fruits.
- Corn Acre Farms, 613-928-2977, 1757 Summers Rd., Lyndhurst: corn, tomatoes, snap beans, potatoes, cucumbers, beets, squash, hay, and beef.
- Desert Lake Gardens, 613-376-1533, 4400 Mill St., Sydenham: organic vegetables, meat, poultry, eggs and dairy, as well as prepared meals.
- Forest Farm, 613-273-5545, 9874 Canoe Lake Rd., Godfrey: 8 varieties of garlic, and maple syrup.
- Forman Farms, 613-382-4949, 4040 Brewer’s Mills Rd., Seeley’s Bay: tomatoes, lettuce, corn, garlic, pumpkins, squash and flowers.
- Fortune Hill Farm, 613-387-2261 , 26 Fortune Line Rd., Lyndhurst: vegetables, salad greens, effs, yarn and hand-knitted items.
- Freedom Farms, 613-353-6889, 1863 Wellington St., Battersea: organic vegetables, and CSA.
- Highline Mushrooms, 613-399-3121, 339 Conley Road, RR 2, Bloomfield: mushrooms.
- Main Street Market, 613-344-0798, 126 York Street, Kingston: distributor of local vegetables, coffee, tea, honey, meat, fish and cheese. Also a CSA with delivery via bicycle.
- Mensen Farm, 613-928-2555, 161 County Rd. 42, Delta: asparagus, strawberries, potatoes, raspberries, sweet corn, tomatoes, pumpkins, squash and onions.
- Mill Creek Farm, 613 476-5250, 44 County Rd. 11, Picton: potatoes, corn, peas, raspberries and strawberries.
- Miller’s Bay Farm, 613-283-0205, 65 Rideau Ferry Rd., Lombardy: various vegetables and fruits.
- Okee’s Farm, 613-385-2102, 902 Hwy 95 Wolfe Island: certified organic vegetables and CSA.
- Patchwork Gardens, 613-483-0005, 4649 Milburn Rd., Battersea: organic vegetables and herbs.
- Roots Down Organic Farms, 613-382-9568, 145 Taylor Rd. West, Gananoque: organic vegetables, and CSA.
- Veggies by George, 613-382-7130, 118 Cunningham Rd., Gananoque: various seasonal vegetables.
- Root Radical CSA, 613.531.0412, 3 Lower Side Rd., RR#4, Gananoque: various seasonal vegetables.
- Veggies Unplugged, 613-385-8569, 602 Hwy 95, Wolfe Island: vegetables, herbs, fruits and CSA.
- Sands Produce and Plants, 613-353-2877, 4322 Battersea Rd., Battersea: vegetables, strawberries, flowers, and honey.
- Soho’s Westport, 613-273-8848, 43 Bedford St., Westport: tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, herbs, preserves and prepared meals.
- Stoneboat Farm, 613-659-3785, 1210 County Rd. 2, Lansdowne: vegetables, asparagus, salad greens, garlic, beans, beets and preserves.
- Sun Harvest Greenhouses, 613-546-6541, Box 39 Glenburnie: greenhouse grown tomatoes, potatoes, asparagus, corn, beans, pumpkins and berries.
Fruits and Berries
- Fruition Berry Farm, 613-548-3378, 3208 Hughes Rd., Kingston: strawberries, raspberries and pumpkins. Also beans, peas, honey and jam.
- Kaiser Lake Farms, 613-354-3018, 4102 County Rd. 9, Napanee: strawberries.
- Kilmarnock Orchard, 613-284-9843, 1182 Kilmarnock Rd., Jasper: apples, maple syrup and honey.
- Palmer Berry Farm, 613-273-3376, 5020 Salem Rd., Westport: strawberries, raspberries, asparagus, corn, pumpkins.
- Paul Ridge Berry Farm, 613-354-9127, 2114 Palace Rd., Napanee: strawberries, raspberries, peas, beans.
- The Blueberry Patch, 613-476-1309, 15 County Rd. 38 and 2984D County Rd 8, Waupoos: blueberries.
- Waddell Apples, 613-546-1690, 2645 Washburn Rd., Seeley’s Bay: apples, cider, pumpkins, pies, jelly, and honey.
Meat and Poultry
- Carson Bay Farms, 613-476-2952, 2967, Hwy 49 RR 2, Picton: beef, chicken, turkey and eggs.
- Fearherstone Bison, 613-382-1633, 201 Taylor Rd., East, Gananoque: steaks, roasts, pepperettes, sausages, salami.
- Frugal Farm, 613-359-5955, 1701 Beach’s Rd., Elgin: pork, beef and lamb.
- Graham Farms, 613-393-5680, 85 Jericho Rd. R.R. #3, Demorestville: elk.
- Kenview Country Cuts, 613-659-2388, 299 Warburton Rd., Lansdowne: Angus beef, pork, chicken, turkey and Kawartha Lakes whole milk ice cream.
- Oak Leaf Lamb, 613-928-2246, 434 Lower Oak Leaf Rd., Athens: chops, and roasts.
- Paradise Ranch, 613-359-6067, 200 Lockwood Lane, Elgin: pork, beef, eggs and maple syrup.
- Prelude Farms, 613-382-1123, 255 Cunningham Rd., Gananoque: lamb, chicken turkey, goose, duck, guinea hens and eggs.
- Sonset Farm, 613-353-2260, 4403 Latimer Rd., Inverary: organic dairy, beef, pastured pork, flour, kernels, vegetables and eggs.
- Sugar Hill Farm, 613-353-6380, 3207 Randy Clark Rd., Battersea: organic Black Angus beef, pork, turkey, duck, chicken, eggs, maple syrup and hay.
- Topsy Farms, 613-389-3444, 14775 Front Rd., Stella, Amherst Island: lamb and wool products, as well as vegetables.
- West Winds Ranch, 613-273-8188, 116B Wolfe Lake Rd., Westport: lamb, beef, rabbits, chickens, ducks, eggs and pumpkins.
Breads, Dairy, Flowers etc…
- Beekeeper’s Garden, 613-542-2775, 1841 Jackson Mills Rd., Kingston: honey, beeswax candles, cut flowers, squash and pumpkins.
- Betsy B Honey, 613-353-6768, 2712 Round Lake Rd., Battersea: honey, beeswax and honey butter.
- Beverley Shores Honey, 613-928-2671 , 377 Upper Beverley Rd. 3, Delta: honey, beeswax, maple syrup, and plants.
- Black River Cheese Company, 613-476-2575, 913 County Rd. 13: cheeses and ice cream.
- Fifth Town Artisan Cheeses, 613-476-5755, 4308 County Rd. 8, Picton: goat and sheep milk cheeses.
- Glorious Greens, 613-273-7595, 874 Grady Rd., Westport: plants and produce, organic soil, and worm castings.
- Gunnebrooke Farms Ltd., 613-359-5071, 206 County Rd. 8, Elgin: maple syrup.
- Henderson Farms, 613 544-4144, RR#1 Wolfe Island: baked goods with organic and wheat free offerings, jams, jellies, marmalade, mustard, and chutney.
- Horton Homestead Farm, 613-659-3899, 469 Dulcemaine Rd., Lansdowne: maple syrup.
- Ironwood Gardens, 613-382-8709, 327 Taylor Rd. West, Gaganoque: red fife wheat flour, and rye flour.
- Louie and Edna Thomas, 613-272-2666, 5 Drummond St., Newboro: maple syrup.
- Marion’s Honey, 613-359-1151 , 1577 County Rd. 42, Elgin: honey, beeswax and starter colonies.
- Sunnydale Farm and Granny’s Gourmet, 613-659-4240, 1041 County Rd. 2, Lansdowne: homemade breads, cakes, and all-natural dog treats.
- Wilton Cheese Factory, 613-386-7314, 30 Old Wilton Road, Wilton: cheese and cheese curd.
Now what did we miss? Again, please help Kingstonist build and improve this comprehensive list of local food producers – not suppliers. Thanks to binarydreams for today’s photo.
6 thoughts on “Guide to Locally Sourced Food”
Main Street Market
Old Farm (also operate Old Farm Fine Foods) which sells locally produced meals, local meats and cheeses.
Root Radical CSA for tasty fruits and veggies. i believe they're in Gan but they deliver to downtown Ktown. http://rootradicalrows.com/
Roots Down Organic – CSA and retail produce; also sell hops for beer making. http://www.rootsdown.ca/
Patchwork Gardens – CSA, retail, wholesale produce http://www.patchworkgardens.ca/
Reinink Family Farms – famous for eggs; also chicken, produce. Market and wholesale (eggs)
And so many more!
Could you please add who does "pick your own" from this list? Thank you!