East end hotel evacuated after chemical reaction

Kingstonist file photo by Josie Vallier.

Two people were taken to hospital for treatment following a chemical reaction due to mixing pool maintenance chemicals at a hotel in Kingston’s east end.

The incident occurred on the morning of Tuesday, Jun. 11, 2024, with emergency responders dispatched to the Hampton Inn on Innovation Drive just before 8 a.m. for a “hazardous materials response.” A large contingent of Kingston Fire & Rescue vehicles and personnel, as well as Frontenac Paramedics, arrived on scene shortly thereafter.

“On arrival, fire crews observed two individuals that had mixed pool chemicals, which created a reaction,” Kingston Fire & Rescue told Kingstonist later in the day.

The local fire department immediately activated the fire alarm system in the building and evacuated everyone from the hotel. Emergency responders remained on scene for nearly two hours as the building was ventilated. The two hotel employees were treated by paramedics on scene and then transported to hospital for further treatment, according to Kingston Fire & Rescue.

According to the fire department, the building was fully ventilated by 9:45 a.m., and crews left shortly thereafter. While the condition of the two employees taken to hospital is unknown, both individuals were expected to fully recover from the chemical reaction and exposure.

Leave a Reply

You cannot copy content from this page, please share the link instead!