Two people are facing charges after they flee a traffic stop in Greater Napanee.
At approximately 11:30 p.m. on Monday, Mar. 29, 2021, officers of the Lennox and Addington (L&A) County detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) stopped a vehicle travelling at a high rate of speed on Highway 401 East in Greater Napanee, Ontario.
While the officers were interacting with the vehicle’s two occupants, OPP said the driver placed the vehicle in drive and fled. A short time later, officers were able to stop the vehicle on Dundas Street West in Greater Napanee, after using a tire deflation device and then conducting a rolling block on the vehicle.
According to a release from OPP, dated Tuesday, Mar. 30, 2021, the driver and passenger were placed under arrest and a search of the vehicle revealed a quantity of illegal drugs and cash.
OPP said they seized suspected Fentanyl, Cocaine and Crystal Methamphetamine along with nearly $2500 in cash.
David Joseph, age 30, of Ottawa and Jennifer Rempel, age 40, of Kingston are facing the following charges:
- Possession of a Schedule 1 Substance for the purpose of trafficking – Cocaine;
- Possession of a Schedule 1 Substance for the purpose of trafficking – Crystal Methamphetamine;
- Possession of a Schedule 1 Substance for the purpose of trafficking – Fentanyl; and
- Possession of Proceeds of Property obtained by crime
David Joseph was also charged with:
- Dangerous Operation of a motor vehicle;
- Flight from Police;
- Resist arrest; and
- Four counts of Fail to Comply with Probation.
David Joseph was held for a bail hearing, and Jennifer Rempel was released on an undertaking and is scheduled to appear in the Ontario Court of Justice in Greater Napanee in May, 2021.