A 27-year-old local man is facing three charges after he ‘threw a fit’ that escalated to him not allowing his girlfriend and her child to leave, according to Kingston Police.
At approximately 12:30 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 13, 2018, police responded to a domestic disturbance call at an east end residence. The accused male had become angry with the victim and “began throwing a fit, yelling and screaming loud enough to wake a young child sleeping in the next room,” Kingston Police said in a press release. When the victim tried to make a phone call, the man smashed her phone, and he also blocked the victim’s path when she tried to leave with the child.
While investigating, officers learned of an incident that occurred a couple of weeks earlier where the accused man grabbed the victim’s shirt, ripping it and causing her minor injuries.
The Kingston man is charged with mischief, forcible confinement, and assault.
Kingston Police issued the following statement:
No one has the right to abuse another person. Victims of domestic violence or sexual assault and witnesses are encouraged to contact Kingston Police. The following links offer valuable support services and resources in the Kingston area for victims of domestic and/or sexual violence:
- Kingston Police (613-549-4660)
- Kingston Police Path of Strength Smartphone App https://www.kingstonpolice.ca/services-resources/victim-services/#path_of_strength
- Kingston Interval House
- Kingston Sexual Assault Centre
- Resolve Counselling Services Canada
- KFACC (Kingston Frontenac Anti-violence Coordinating Committee)
- Victim Services of Kingston and Frontenac (613-548-4834) http://victimservicesontario.ca/
- Addiction & Mental Health Services – Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington https://www.amhs-kfla.ca/
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Violence in the Family https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/family/violence.php
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Victim Services Directory http://services.findhelp.ca/ovss/
- Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres https://www.sadvtreatmentcentres.ca/