An argument between a couple that had been involved in a 10 month relationship resulted in a mischief charge for one local man who ripped the phone cord out of the wall as his girlfriend, the victim, attempted to contact police.
The incident occurred at approximately 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Apr. 16, 2019, when the two became involved in a domestic dispute at the victim’s residence in central Kingston. According to police, the accused man was upset because he didn’t have any money to purchase drugs. The victim the accused man that she was ending their relationship, having grown frustrated by his actions. The accused man then became aggressive, and the victim contacted police.
While the victim was on the phone with police, the accused man ripped the phone cord out of the wall jack.
Responding officers arrived at the residence where they observed a section of drywall that had been damaged. Through the ensuing investigation, police determined that at approximately 8 p.m. on Monday, Apr. 1, 2019, the accused man had become angry with the victim – again about the lack of money to purchase drugs – and he had punched a hole in the wall.
The 26-year-old Kingston man was arrested and charged with mischief under $5,000.
The following is a statement from Kingston Police:
No one has the right to abuse another person. Victims of domestic violence or sexual assault and witnesses are encouraged to contact Kingston Police. The following links offer valuable support services and resources in the Kingston area for victims of domestic and/or sexual violence:
- Kingston Police (613-549-4660)
- Kingston Police Path of Strength Smartphone App
- Kingston Interval House
- Kingston Sexual Assault Centre
- Resolve Counselling Services Canada
- KFACC (Kingston Frontenac Anti-violence Coordinating Committee) and KFACC for men
- Victim Services of Kingston and Frontenac (613-548-4834)
- Addiction & Mental Health Services – Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Violence in the Family
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Victim Services Directory
- Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres