A Deseronto man is facing multiple charges after breaking into a home on Rapids Road in the Municipality of Tweed on Christmas Day.
Central Hastings Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers responded to the break and enter at approximately 12:10 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 25, 2021. According to a release from the OPP, an extensive and ongoing investigation was done by the Central Hastings OPP and their Community Street Crime Unit (CSCU).
On Thursday, Jan. 13, 2022, with the assistance of Napanee and Frontenac OPP officers as well as the Napanee Community Street Crime Unit (CSCU), Wayne Sweet, 49 years old, of Deseronto was arrested on the strength of Central Hastings arrest warrant. According to OPP, he has been charged with the following Criminal Code offences;
- Operation While Prohibited x 3
- Break and Enter
- Possession of Break and Enter Instruments x 2
- Possession of property obtained by crime x 2
- Theft over $5,000
Sweet was also charged with the following offences under the Highway Traffic Act, Liquor Licence Act and the Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act;
- Driving while under suspension – while suspended under HTA
- Driving while under suspension
- Careless Driving
- Fail to report by accident
- Fail to report damage to property on Highway
- Fail to report damage to fence bordering Highway
- Use plate not authorized for for vehicle
- Fail to apply for permit upon becoming Owner
- Vehicle modified – fail to apply for new permit
- Use plate not in accordance with regulations
- Use dafaced validation
- Use defaced plate
- Drive motor vehicle with open container of liquor
- Owner operate motor vehicle – No insurance
Sweet was remanded into custody and is scheduled to appear for a bail hearing at the Ontario Court of Justice in Belleville.
The OPP is reminding the public to ensure that your property and vehicle are securely locked up. Police also suggest owners photograph, label and record serial numbers of their property.