Justin Hunter, wanted for Attempted Murder, arrested

Heavy police presence on Calderwood Drive was confirmed by police as being related to the arrest of Justin Hunter, a Kingston man wanted for attempted murder.

Justin Hunter, whom Kingston Police have had at the top of their wanted list on Attempted Murder charges since mid-July, was arrested without incident on Friday, Sept. 11 on Calderwood Drive, Kingston Police have confirmed.

Police say Hunter, 33, reversed a 2015 Dodge Ram pick-up truck into the 22-year-old female victim at the intersection of Queen and Sydenham Streets on July 14. He then fled the scene and police had been searching for him ever since.

The victim’s sister, Sheralee Knight, said on learning of Hunter’s capture: “It has been a long scary couple of weeks for everyone, [my sister] especially. I personally have driven around areas Mr.Hunter has been known to frequent hoping he would pop up. Trying to keep the case relevant so the public will remember to keep an eye out; that’s all over now. Now we begin the inevitable trial if Mr. Hunter pleads not guilty. We are all breathing a little easier now that he is caught; and are looking forward to justice being served.”

Police say that on Sept. 10, the investigation into Hunter’s whereabouts yielded some reliable information which eventually led to the apprehension on Friday.

Justin Hunter photo provided by Kingston Police.

Hunter was arrested on 10 counts, several of which were historical domestic violence charges relating to the same victim. The charges were: attempted murder, dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, leaving the scene of an accident, assault, unlawfully entering a dwelling, uttering threats, forcible confinement, and three failures to comply with recognizance.

Hunter is known to have travelled between Ottawa, Toronto and Kingston over the past few months.

Andrew Seguin, 24, and Christopher Lewis, 25, both of Kingston are both charged with being an accessory after the fact to attempted murder in the case. Seguin has been released from custody on a Promise to Appear in the Ontario Court of Justice on October 22nd, 2015. Lewis appeared by video before a Justice of the Peace on Saturday morning, and was remanded into custody until Monday, September 14th, 2015. Hunter was also remanded into custody until his next appearance on Wednesday, September 16th, 2015.

While Hunter was believed to have been armed, no weapon has been recovered and the investigation continues.

Anyone with information that would assist investigators, particularly with respect to those who acted as accessories after the fact, are asked to contact either Det. Adam McMullen ([email protected] ext. 6281) or Det. James Veltman ([email protected] ext. 6300) of the Major Crime Unit .

Leave a Reply

You cannot copy content from this page, please share the link instead!