An outbreak of COVID-19 has been declared on Level 2 at Providence Transitional Care Centre, after three patients tested positive for the virus.
According to a release from Providence Care, dated Thursday, Apr. 21, 2022, the unit is under quarantine and all patients have been placed on contact and aerosol precautions.
The outbreak will be in place for a minimum of 10 days, during which time Level 2 patients will be closely monitored and re-tested for COVID-19 on a set schedule, Providence Care said. All staff who worked on Level 2 during the last week will also be tested for the virus.
Providence Care has alerted Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox and Addington (KFL&A) Public Health about the positive cases and is working closely with teams there, according to the release. An investigation is also underway to determine how the residents contracted the virus.
According to the release, Providence Care has also reached out to all residents and their loved ones at the transitional care home to inform them about the outbreak.
For confidentiality reasons, Providence Care said they are not able to share any identifiable or additional information about the positive cases.
To help limit the spread of infection, Providence Care said that the unit has implemented several additional measures including:
- Level 2 is closed to admissions.
- Designated visitors are temporarily prohibited. Only essential visitors and one designated care partner are permitted to visit at this time. Visitors must pass screening and show proof of COVID-19 vaccination to enter the facility. They must also wear a mask and any appropriate personal protective equipment for the duration of their visit.
- Care teams are closely monitoring all patients to identify potential cases early.
- Continuing to actively screen staff for COVID-19 symptoms. Staff must also wear appropriate personal protective equipment, practice physical distancing and good hand hygiene.
- Staff with ongoing exposure to the unit will participate in daily rapid antigen testing for the duration of the outbreak.
- Extra cleaning of all high-touch surfaces and common areas.
Even with the province easing public health measures, COVID-19 protective measures remain in place at all Providence Care sites, according to the release. The health care agency said they will continue to review safety measures on an ongoing basis to ensure the staff and the people they serve stay protected.
Current safety measures include:
- Reducing visitors
- Passing screening
- Wearing a mask
- Providing proof of vaccination (exceptions apply)
Visit providencecare.ca for up-to-date information about COVID-19 protective measures in place at all sites. Click here for a complete list of Providence Care sites currently under a COVID-19 watch or outbreak.
Providence Care is a healthcare provider in southeastern Ontario, providing specialized care in aging, mental health and rehabilitation. The organization consists of Providence Care Hospital, Providence Transitional Care Centre, Providence Manor long-term care home, and more than 20 community-based support and mental health services across the region