A couple who stopped at the Denny’s in Kingston’s west end so that one of them could use the washroom both ended up at Kingston Police Headquarters following a domestic disturbance.
At approximately 7:45 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 23, 2018, the couple – a man and a woman – arrived at the west end Denny’s location so the female could use the washroom. The two began arguing and name calling, according to a press release from Kingston Police.
The man got in the car to leave, but the woman wanted some things from the car, so she got in his way to prevent him from leaving. The man began inching the car towards the woman, and she jumped onto the hood of the vehicle, causing some damage.
The man then got out of the car and the couple got into a physical altercation. The man began punching the woman in the face and chest, at which point a patron in the restaurant intervened and separated the pair.
Police arrived and arrested both parties. The 25-year-old female is charged with mischief, and the 24-year-old man is charged with assault.
Kingston Police have released the following statement:
No one has the right to abuse another person. Victims of domestic violence or sexual assault and witnesses are encouraged to contact Kingston Police.
The following links offer valuable support services and resources in the Kingston area for victims of domestic and/or sexual violence:
- Kingston Police (613-549-4660)
- Kingston Police Path of Strength Smartphone App https://www.kingstonpolice.ca/services-resources/victim-services/#path_of_strength
- Kingston Interval House
- Kingston Sexual Assault Centre
- Resolve Counselling Services Canada
- KFACC (Kingston Frontenac Anti-violence Coordinating Committee)
For women: http://kfacc.org/ For men: http://kfacc.org/do-you-need-help/for-men/
- Victim Services of Kingston and Frontenac (613-548-4834) http://victimservicesontario.ca/
- Addiction & Mental Health Services — Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Violence in the Family https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/family/violence.php
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Victim Services Directory http://services.findhelp.ca/ovss/
- Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres
- Canadian Centre for Men and Families