Public Input Needed For CityofKingston.ca Redesign
It’s happening: for the first time since 2001 the City’s website, is being redesigned to make it more useful and the public is being asked to weigh in on how it would prefer to access City information, services and programs online.
“It’s time for us as a community to discuss how we want to engage and interact with the City online. The way people use the Internet has changed dramatically,” says David Johnston, the City’s Chief Information Officer. “We’ve added thousands of pages to the City’s site over the years and we need public input to help us set our ‘e-service’ priorities.”
Johnston notes, for instance, that the new website will be designed with mobile devices in mind, so that residents can all look forward to on-the-run access to all the City has to offer. The aim is to have a new, improved City site up and running by the end of 2012.
The City is now working with eSolutions Group to collect public and stakeholder input into the redesign and will develop three design options for presentation to the public later this Spring. A final design concept is expected to be ready by the end of April when the hard technical work of reshaping the website will begin.
The City is now offering a Your Opinion survey to allow all Kingstonians an opportunity to weigh-in on how they would like to access City services, programs and information online. You can find it at (where else?) www.CityofKingston.ca/new-website. The deadline for input is Friday, March 16. Paper versions of the survey can be found in public buildings around town, including:
- City Hall, 216 Ontario St
- INVISTA Centre, 1350 Gardiners Rd.
- Artillery Park Aquatic & Fitness Centre,76 Ordnance St.
- Wally Elmer Neighbourhood Centre, 106 Daly St.
- Kingston Frontenac Public Library (Kingston Branches)
- Portsmouth Olympic Harbour Marina, 53 Yonge St.
- Kingston Area Recycling Centre, 196 Lappan’s Lane
- Community Services, 362 Montreal St.
- Rideaucrest Long-term Care facility, 175 Rideau St.
- Police Station, 705 Division St.
- Municipal Campus, 1211 John Counter Boulevard
- Grand Theatre, 218 Princess St.
- K-Rock Centre, 1 Barrack St.
- Tourism Information Office – 209 Ontario St.
Media contact information: Cindie Ashton, Communications Officer (613) 546-4291, extension 3116 (cell 329-3462). Or call the City of Kingston’s media hotline at 613-546-4291, ext 2300.