City leaf and brush collection starting soon
With the first day of fall upon us, the City of Kingston has announced its plans for leaf and brush pick-up throughout the city.
“The brush and leaf collections are the most economical way for the City to process yard waste,” The City of Kingston said in a press release on Monday, Sept. 23, 2019. “You may put some yard waste in your green bin, but collectors must see food waste in your green bin in order to collect.”
The City suggests coordinating your fall lawn work around the collection dates, which will begin with brush collection in October, and move into leaf collection in November.
Brush collection will actually begin the last day of September on Monday, Sept. 30, 2019. Residents can figure out their collection week here, and are advised to have their brush piled loosely at the curbside by 8 a.m. on the Monday of their collection week. The following are brush collection instructions from the City:
- Stack brush with the butt ends facing the street.
- No root balls.
- Pruned bits of bushes and trees smaller than 15 cm (six inches) in diameter and less than 90 cm (three feet) long.
Leaf collection will begin on Monday, Nov. 4, 2019. To figure out your collection week, click here. The City asks that residents have their leaves ready for pick-up at the curbside by 8 a.m. on the Monday of their leaf collection week. The following are leaf collection instructions from the City:
- The City will only collect leaves in that are in paper leaf bags, or those that are loosely placed in bushel baskets, garbage cans, or other rigid-sided receptacles.
- Yard waste like tomato plants and vegetable waste (but not brush) can also be put out for collection on leaf week.
- Make sure bags or containers do not weigh more than 20 kg (40 lbs).
- Leaves in plastic bags (or in bags that look like plastic) will not be picked up by the City.
The City advises that leaves and grass clippings can be left on lawns to feed them over the coming months. Residents can also consider composting yard waste, and the City offers more information on that here. Backyard composters can be purchased at the Kingston Area Recycling Centre (KARC) for $43.
Brush and leaf drop-off
Yard waste can be dropped off year round at the KARC, located at 196 Lappan’s Lane, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Friday, or on Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Yard waste can also be dropped off at Norterra Organics at 2069 Joyceville Road. Call 613-546-0884 for hours of operation.