Cause of injuries unknown after suspect arrested in K&P Trail assault

Kingstonist file photo.

After one of three people involved in a violent altercation was arrested, Kingston Police have released further details on the assault and those involved.

The assault, which occurred just after 4 a.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2022, took place on the K&P Trail near Kingston’s Integrated Care Hub (ICH). Two people walking together in the area were approached by another individual whom Kingston Police do not believe was known to them.

All three became engaged in a verbal altercation and, as the argument escalated, the altercation became physical, and the two victims were assaulted. The suspect in the assault also sustained minor injuries, Kingston Police said early in the day, however, those injuries were not consistent with those sustained by the two victims, who were transported to Kingston General Hospital (KGH) by Frontenac Paramedics with “non-life-threatening injuries,” police said.

While witnesses reported the incident as a stabbing, Kingston Police said that could not confirm that theory, both early in the day, and after the suspect had been arrested at approximately 2:30 p.m. on the same date.

“We are still investigating what type of weapon was used and how exactly the injuries were caused. Items found in the area have been seized for further investigation,” Const. Anthony Colangeli, Acting Media Relations Officer for Kingston Police, said in an email to Kingstonist.

According to Kingston Police, two of the individuals involved in the incident — the victims sent to hospital with injuries — were “in the area to access services at the ICH,” while the third was “just walking through the area at the time.” Police did not say whether any of those involved are currently living in the encampment adjacent to the ICH and K&P Trail.

Although the arrest of the suspect in the assault was based largely on the investigation being carried out, “police did receive some co-operation from the public during the course of the investigation,” Colangeli said.

As of 3:45 p.m., the suspect remained in police custody, as police have yet to determine whether the individual will remain in custody pending a bail hearing tomorrow morning or be released on conditions with a future court date.

The investigation is ongoing and, as such, police are asking anyone with information regarding this incident to contact Detective Sergeant Blair Watt at 613-549-4660 ext. 6320, or via email at [email protected].

Tips can also be made anonymously by calling the Kingston Police general number (613-549-4660 ext. 0) and requesting to remain anonymous.

Leave a Reply

You cannot copy content from this page, please share the link instead!