‘Careless disposal of smoking materials’ leads to fire in Kingston’s west end

Kingston Fire & Rescue and Frontenac Paramedics on scene after a fire broke out at a residence on Springfield Drive in Kingston’s west end on the night of Monday, Sept. 25, 2023. Screen captured image from video footage taken by Cris Vilela/Kingstonist.

The second residential fire in less than 12 hours in Kingston’s west end was found to have been caused by the same thing as the first: “careless disposal of smoking materials.”

Screen captured image from video footage submitted to Kingstonist of the flames from the Springfield Drive fire as seen from behind the house.

According to Kingston Fire & Rescue (KFR), the disposal of unextinguished smoking materials, such as cigarettes or cannabis joints, led to a fire at a residence on Springfield Drive. The fire broke out at approximately 10 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 25, 2023. After receiving “multiple 911 calls reporting a housefire in the 1000 Block of Springfield Drive,” the local fire department responded to the address, which is located in the Henderson Place neighbourhood off of Bayridge Drive and Roosevelt Drive.

“On arrival, firefighters observed heavy smoke and fire at the rear of the semi-detached home. Firefighters forced entry into the front of the home to wake two occupants who were sleeping,” Kingston Fire & Rescue said in an email to Kingstonist.

“The occupants escaped safely with their dog. The fire was quickly brought under control.”

This came just over six hours after a fire spread between two houses on Clover Street earlier in the day, leading to the complete destruction of those houses, and damages to the two neighbouring houses on either side. And the two fires incidents were markedly similar, according to details from the local fire department.

“This fire originated on a rear deck of the home, spread up the siding, and extended into the attic and roof,” KFR said of the Springfield Drive fire, which mirrors the way the fire spread at the Clover Street fire.

Flames jump from the roof of a house on Springfield Drive, seen here from behind the house in video footage taken from Bayridge Drive. Submitted video.

And much like the way it spread, the Springfield Drive fire began the same way that on Clover Street did.

“The cause of the fire is careless disposal of smoking materials,” the fire department said, noting that the costs associated with the damages caused by the Springfield Drive fire are estimated at $100,000.

“Many home fires are preventable. KFR reminds residents that cigarettes, joints, and any other lit smoking materials MUST be completely extinguished in water or sand without exception.”

KFR did not say whether any residents were displaced by the fire on Springfield Drive.

Leave a Reply

You cannot copy content from this page, please share the link instead!