Canine Unit tracks down impaired driver who forcibly entered home

Zeus and Const. Jeff Dickson of the Kingston Police Canine Unit.

Zeus and his partner Const. Jeff Dickson were successfully able to apprehend a Kingston man after he fled his ex-girlfriend’s residence in the city’s east end upon police arrival.

The incident began on the evening of Thursday, Jun. 27, 2019, when the accused man attended his ex-girlfriend’s residence. The two had been involved in a year-long relationship, but had just recently separated. According to Kingston Police, the accused man had been driving a motor vehicle that appeared to have substantial front-end damage and there were branches lodged under the front-end of the vehicle.

The accused man then left the residence, and police were called to attend. Responding officers arrived at 11:24 p.m. and learned that the accused had returned to the residence, this time crawling through a basement window to gain entry. The victim confronted the accused man and indicated that police would be contacted, the accused man fled out the back door of the residence on foot.

The Kingston Police Canine Unit, including Zeus and his handler, Dickson, attended the scene and began to track the accused man. The accused man was located in a nearby backyard, hiding in a bush. Although the accused man attempted to run from officers, Zeus effectively subdued and held him until police arrested him.

The ensuing investigation found that the accused appeared to be impaired by alcohol, and that he had struck a tree prior to arriving at his ex-girlfriend’s house initially. The damaged vehicle was located on a nearby street, according to Kingston Police.

The accused man was taken to Kingston Police headquarters where he provided two breath samples. He was found to have approximately two times the legal limit of alcohol in his system. The accused man was held to attend a bail hearing, and his driver’s licence was automatically suspended for 90 days. If convicted, he will face a one-year suspension. The accused man’s vehicle was also impounded for seven days, and he will be responsible for all related fees and fines. The 29-year-old local man was charged with forcible entry, impaired operation of a conveyance (vehicle), and impaired operation of a conveyance while exceeding the legal blood alcohol concentration.

Leave a Reply

You cannot copy content from this page, please share the link instead!