Barbecue leads to extensive residential fire in South Frontenac

A garage that caught fire at a Maple Grove Lane residence in Tichborne, South Frontenac Township, spread to the adjacent home and into the brush, according to South Frontenac Fire & Rescue. Submitted photo.

A father and daughter are displaced along with their three pets, all of whom escaped a fire at residence in South Frontenac Township.

At approximately 5:40 p.m. on Monday, May 13, 2024, South Frontenac Fire & Rescue responded to a reported fire at a property on Maple Grove Lane in Tichborne. There, a garage had caught fire, and the flames were quickly spreading.

Despite a quick response from the fire department who arrived on scene just before 5:50 p.m., the fire had already spread to the residence from the garage, with the house fully involved in the blaze.

Fire Chief Delbert Blakney, Director of Emergency Services for South Frontenac, said that the Central Frontenac fire department was contacted for mutual aid in combating the fire, which spread to nearby brush, but was extinguished by the fire crews before spreading to any other structures.

“Firefighters were able to save all contents of the home and extinguished a wildfire that occurred because of this fire. Firefighters prevented the fire from spreading to adjacent homes and cottages,” Blakney told Kingstonist the following day.

According to the fire chief, the fire was caused by a barbecue inside a detached garage. The fire spread to the house approximately eight feet away, Blakney said, and flames burned up the side of the home and entered the attic.

The garage is a total loss, and the cost of damages associated with the fire is approximately $350,000, Blakney relayed, noting that the occupants of the home — a father and daughter — were not injured, and that two dogs and a cat were evacuated with the occupants.

One South Frontenac firefighter was, however, treated for exhaustion on scene by Frontenac Paramedics. That firefighter, Blakney shared, was able to resume operations following treatment. Firefighters were on scene for approximately five hours.

“South Frontenac Fire & Rescue reminds all residents that it is extremely dangerous to operate a barbecue inside a structure because of potential CO (carbon monoxide) poisoning and the risk of fire,” Fire Chief Blakney said.

Leave a Reply

You cannot copy content from this page, please share the link instead!