As the holidays draw to a close, the spirit of giving and supporting the community is not only continuing, but growing here in Kingston.
Inspired by Kingstonist’s final ‘25 Days of Giving’ pledge to donate $250 to the charity of our readers’ choice, one Kingstonian has stepped up to make an outstanding gesture of generosity in the hopes of inspiring others to do the same.
Earlier this week, Kingstonist was contacted by a reader who indicated they would like to “support our efforts in encouraging the community to rally around our charities.” Wishing to remain anonymous, the reader said they would like to donate $100 to each of the 25 charities that were most suggested by our readers on our social media posts. That adds up to a whopping $2,500 this individual is now donating to those charities.
“[Kingstonist] can promote the act to encourage others to consider giving,” the anonymous donor said.
“My motivation was to encourage others to get behind the Kingstonist donation, beyond simply making suggestions.”
The only conditions this generous community member stipulated were that the recipients must be registered charities and local to the Kingston area. With that, we set to work to determine the most suggested charities by our readers. Without further ado, those 25 charities that will be receiving $100 thanks to this kind gesture are (in alphabetical order):
- Addiction and Mental Health Services KFLA
- Almost Home Kingston
- Boys and Girls Club of Kingston and Area
- Cancer Centre of Southeastern Ontario at KGH
- Dawn House Women’s Shelter
- Family and Children’s Services of Frontenac, Lennox and Addington
- Habitat for Humanity Kingston
- Happy Tails Farm Sanctuary
- Helen Tufts Nursery School
- Home Base Housing
- Independent Living Centre Kingston
- Joe’s MILL
- Kingston 4 Paws Service Dogs
- Kingston Humane Society
- Kingston Interval House for Women and Children
- Kingston Partners in Mission Food Bank
- Kingston Youth Shelter
- Lionhearts Kingston
- Loving Spoonful
- Sexual Assault Centre Kington
- Sheba’s Haven Rescue
- Spay Neuter Kingston Initiative
- Special Meals at St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church
- Vincent de Paul Society of Kingston
- Youth Diversion Kingston
We here at Kingstonist want to express our sincere gratitude to this anonymous donor for their touching act of generosity, which will undoubtedly help our overall community as a whole. We encourage anyone who can give to local charities to do so in the spirit of the season, and in the contagious spirit of this wonderful donor.
Happy holidays, Kingston!
Note to all selected charities: Co-publisher Tori Stafford will be in touch early in the new year to ensure funds are received by each of the 25 charities. If you would like to contact Tori, email her at email@example.com.