A 69-year-old Kingston man is facing three charges after allegedly assaulting his common-law partner and proceeding to operate a vehicle while intoxicated.
On Monday, Jul. 30, 2018, the couple were in their west end home where the accused male was allegedly drinking. He became verbally abusive with the victim about what she was making for dinner, according to a press release from Kingston Police.
At approximately 9:30 p.m., the male entered the bedroom where the victim was laying down and physically kicked her out of the bed. The victim then called the police, and the accused attempted to leave in a vehicle.
While he was reversing, however, the accused ran into the ditch on the opposite side of the roadway, where he left the vehicle. Upon responding, police found the accused male hiding and passed out in a shed at the rear of the property. Because the officers were unable to wake up the accused, Frontenac Paramedics were called and the accused was taken to hospital.
Once the accused became conscious and was medically cleared, he was arrested and taken to Kingston Police Headquarters. He provided two breath samples, and was found to have just under 1.5 times the legal limit of alcohol in his system. He was charged with assault, having care and control of a vehicle while impaired by alcohol, and having care and control of a vehicle with over 80 mg of alcohol (in his system). He was later released with a future court date, and his driver’s license was automatically suspended for 90 days. If convicted, the man will face a one year suspension from driving.
Kingston Police would like to remind the public of the following:
No one has the right to abuse another person. Victims of domestic violence or sexual assault and witnesses are encouraged to contact Kingston Police. The following links offer valuable support services and resources in the Kingston area for victims of domestic and/or sexual violence:
- Kingston Police (613-549-4660)
- Kingston Police Path of Strength Smartphone App https://www.kingstonpolice.ca/services/online/path-of-strength-app/
- Kingston Interval House
- Kingston Sexual Assault Centre
- Resolve Counselling Services Canada
- KFACC (Kingston Frontenac Anti-violence Coordinating Committee)
For women: http://kfacc.org/ For men: http://kfacc.org/do-you-need-help/for-men/
- Victim Services of Kingston and Frontenac (613-548-4834) http://victimservicesontario.ca/
- Addiction & Mental Health Services – Kingston Frontenac Lennox & Addington https://www.amhs-kfla.ca/
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Violence in the Family https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/family/violence.php
- Ministry of the Attorney General – Victim Services Directory http://services.findhelp.ca/ovss/
- Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres https://www.sadvtreatmentcentres.ca/