Why join the Kingstonist team?
The Kingstonist is a fast-paced, modern work environment, dedicated to supplying a unique perspective to the news world. We are a community-driven site that focuses on news, arts and culture, the environment, restaurants, people and events, and everything else that defines life in Kingston, Ontario. Our multi-talented contributors strive to produce a diverse array of content ranging from written articles to audio podcasts, as well as video and photographic coverage of what’s going on around Kingston’s city streets and in our backyards. As a rapidly growing company, we at the Kingstonist pride ourselves on the emphasis we place on finding the best collaborators to join our team. We look forward to hearing from you!
What to expect:
The Kingstonist is searching for an enthusiastic and dedicated Journalist who is ready to dive in and hit the ground running when it comes to their new role. The successful candidate for this position will be a skilled writer with a passion for producing accurate and eye-catching news. The Kingstonist requires all of its contributors to conduct themselves with the highest level of professionalism and demonstrate ethical behaviour throughout all interactions with both the public, as well as fellow staff. The ideal candidate will have experience in print journalism, inclusive of both working and educational experience.
Responsibilities of the position:
- Understanding the flexibility required for such a position. This will be a full-time position, but a set schedule cannot be determined due to the nature of the industry.
- The ability to work independently in an efficient manner.
- The ability to take direction from the Editor in Chief.
- Display excellent communication as well as interpersonal skills.
- The ability to meet deadlines.
- Travel throughout the local market will be required.
- Attendance of local events to produce content for the Kingstonist.
- The ability to remain unbiased and impartial while representing the Kingstonist.
- Gathering information for newsworthy stories through observation, interviews and research.
- A working knowledge of Canadian Press Style (CP Style) would be considered an asset.
- A background in interviewing, transcribing, as well as writing in a variety of different styles is preferred.
- Experience in photography is considered an asset.
- A candidate with a working knowledge of Kingston and the local community is preferred.
Ready to come work with us?