Copper Branch brings vegan, gluten-free options to Kingston diners

The General Copper Bowl from Copper Branch Kingston, located at 268 Princess Street. Photo by Nour Maloum.


If you haven’t noticed, there’s a new restaurant in downtown Kingston that’s getting a lot of traffic – and a lot of attention from those with vegetarian, vegan, or gluten-free diets.

The owner of Copper Branch Kingston was inspired by Kingston VegFest this past October, and decided to open a fulltime plant-based restaurant in the heart of Kingston.

Copper Branch is a sit-down and takeout chain that thrives to be convenient for all budgets and diets. Their food options can be catered to fit your dietary needs, whether you are diabetic, gluten-free, keto, etc. Copper Branch is committed to taking the time to make their food to meet the customers’ needs.

The Copper Burger. Submitted photo.

Copper Branch Kingston makes 85 per cent of its food in-house, and the other 15 per cent is made at a gluten-free facility in Montreal. The restaurant supports local vendors and promotes healthy and sustainable eating for everyone, and all of Copper Branch’s containers are compostable or recyclable.

Additionally, Copper Branch sources local vegan wine and it is the only vegan wine in Ontario. They also source their kombucha locally and on tap. And Copper Branch Kingston saves their food scraps and sends it off to local animal sanctuaries, too!

I tried the General Copper bowl when I stopped in to Copper Branch. The mushrooms tasted like chicken, and it has the perfect amount of juice. You can’t tell the difference between the real and the substitute ingredients. It’s a great place for those who aren’t vegan but trying to incorporate more veggies into their diets.

And for those with a sweet tooth, Copper Branch will start carrying vegan baked goods soon!

To find out more about Copper Branch Kingston, visit their Facebook page here.


Nour is a Queen’s University student majoring in philosophy and minoring in political studies. She is also a graphics editor for the student-run newspaper, the Queen’s Journal. In her free time, Nour enjoys reading about politics, going to the gym, and running. Connect with Nour via email at [email protected].


Leave a Reply

You cannot copy content from this page, please share the link instead!