To add a community event, click here.
- This event has passed.
Event Management Summit
January 25 @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm$50
Don’t miss this one-of-a-kind networking event bringing together event planners, venues, promoters and suppliers under one roof!
Are you passionate about event planning and looking for professional development to broaden your skills? Then this one-day conference is for you! This exclusive networking and skills-building program is designed for people who are passionate about event planning (volunteer or professional) to start 2020 off with a bang!
• Keynote Speaker: Kalla Berk (see bio below), Senior Event Producer, sharing advice and tips for event planners.
• Industry Panel Discussion sharing insider tips and a look behind-the-scenes: “what we wish you knew before you booked events.”
• Connect with passionate people and big ideas, both volunteers and professionals
• Meet directly with suppliers who want to partner with you to help make your events a success.
• Grow your knowledge base, acquire new skills and enhance your resume.
• Engage with detail-oriented peers and like-minded individuals.
• Act now to secure your spot at this unique networking event!
Host & MC – Sarah Witiuk, founder of QueensEvents.ca
Industry Panel Discussion: “What we wish you knew before you booked events”
• Dave Owens, co-owner The Mansion, co-owner FryWay 33 – catering styles & service, hospitality, venue/site selection, alcohol policies
• Jen Atkinson, owner Sage Flowers – event design, flower arrangements
• Tori Stafford, journalist & co-owner Kingstonist – getting media attention for your events
• Kalla Berk – booking events on-campus, alcohol policies, forming a strong team, galas & weddings.
Early-bird Registration Fee: $40 includes a catered lunch.
Registration Fee (if not sold out): $50 includes a catered lunch.
If you would like to participate in the networking tradeshow, please contact Sarah.firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Accessibility: There is space on our registration form to identify accommodations or special needs. Your requests will be confidential.
Keynote Speaker – Kalla Berk (Political Studies ’13): Kalla has 10+ years of experience in event management and design, executing events for a variety of clients across North America. She’s worked for: Make-a-Wish Foundation, Starlight Children’s Foundation, Solutions with Impact, Candice & Alison Luxury Events and is currently the Senior Event Producer at Diamond Integrated Marketing. A few of her clients have included: Jays Care Foundation, L’Oréal, Sephora, Porsche, Sickkids Foundation, TD Bank Group, Intact Insurance and many more.
Kalla specializes in client relationships, managing and building event production teams, while delivering exceptional event experiences with high-end designs. Kalla also freelances as a Wedding planner through her company, Kalla’s Galas. Learn more: kallasgalas.com
Favourite quote: “To create something exceptional, your mindset must be relentlessly focused on the smallest detail. As we do not remember the days, but rather the moments.”
Panelist – Jen Atkinson-Spencer
When you’re designing an event, it’s important that all the details are thought through, something our first industry panelist knows very well! Owner-florist Jen Atkinson-Spencer of Sage Flowers specializes in thoughtful, garden style designs – fresh flowers that seem ‘just picked from the garden.’
Her custom designed flower arrangements include free same-day delivery within Kingston. ?BONUS: One lucky attendee of the Event Management Summit will take home a custom fresh flower arrangement by Sage Flowers!
Panelist – Dave Owens
Dave has been working in hotels and restaurant management for over 15 years, and brings his experience as co-owner of The Mansion, one of our favourite live music venues, to this panel.
Panelist – Tori Stafford
Multimedia journalist and co-publisher of Kingstonist.com, Tori Stafford always has her finger on the pulse of the city. Tori started her career in journalism after graduating from Loyalist College in 2008. Diploma in Print Journalism – majoring in investigative journalism, post-graduate diploma in E-journalism (the adaptation of the newspaper to the internet; online journalism, mobile multimedia journalism, HTML programming, training in multiple design and lay-out softwares); diploma in public speaking.
Host – Sarah Witiuk
Many of you know Sarah as “the events girl” who is always sharing events in Facebook groups, so here’s more about her story and why she’s excited about this new event!
Passionate about event planning since high school, Sarah worked in startup companies in Rotterdam and Toronto during her undergrad before starting QueensEvents.ca in her 4th year at Queen’s. She completed a postgraduate certificate from Algonquin College Event Management with honours, which included a placement behind-the-scenes assisting with weddings, corporate and special events at Canadian Museum of Nature in Ottawa.
With the Event Management Summit and subsequent workshops, Sarah is seeking to provide networking, resource sharing and skills-building opportunities to event planners in Kingston, both amateur and professional.
“Compared to larger cities with professional event networks, most of the social and charitable events in Kingston are planned by volunteers who have no formal training in event management. Through surveys, I’ve have found that many are eagerly looking to gain industry knowledge, especially for Queen’s students, where no courses are offered in event management.”
• Free parking is available on Queen’s campus surface lots on weekends; however, the roadway spaces between Grant and Kingston Hall are permit parking only.
We recommend parking at the Tindall Field surface parking lot located at the corner of Union St. & Albert St.
• Queen’s University is a smoke-free campus. All smoking, including vaping, is prohibited on university property including inside vehicles while parked.
• Queen’s University is situated on traditional Haudenosaunee and Anishinaabe territory. More info on land acknowledgment here.
• Questions can be sent to email@example.com
To add a community event, click here.