The Murney Redoubt was built in 1846 as part of an increase in the defences of key cities from Nova Scotia to Ontario in response to a border dispute in the West between British North America and the US. Kingston’s defences also included Fort Henry, the Market Battery, Cathcart Tower, Shoal Tower and the Fort Frederick Tower. By 1890, the Murney Tower was abandoned however, having outlived its usefulness. In this photo from 1921, the roof of the Tower blew off in a windstorm. The Kingston Historical Society restored the building and opened it as a museum in 1925. The Museum has been running ever since. This weekend check out the last performances of Stubborn Stone, a play set in the tower that is part of the ongoing Kick & Push Festival.
- Suns of Static: Mountain Man
- #ygkChallenge: Unplug