In 2011 we did a Guide to Weekly Live Music that covered everything from regular house bands and music clubs to open mics and jam sessions. We figured it was time to update that list and this time we’ve included not only live music but book clubs and trivia nights as well. Check out our Guide to Weekly Events and make plans to check some out for yourself. Did we miss your favourite weekly event? Let us know in the comments below.
- Royal Tavern: Start your week off with a Country jam/open mic at Kingston’s oldest tavern. Tunes get going around 9pm.
- The Merchant: Kingston favourite funky bunch, Ghetto Express, make Mondays a little easier to take.
- The Toucan: Rueben deGroot‘s Ole Time Rock and Roll sets the tone for the week starting at 10pm.
- Ben’s Pub: Join in on an Irish music session or just come and listen. The beginner session runs from 6-7pm with a faster session running from 7-9pm.
- Olivea: Live jazz nights feature three rotating bands: The Downtown Trio, Spencer Evans and The Dave Barton Trio. 6-9pm, no cover. See Olivea’s site to find out who’s playing this week.
- The Grad Club: Rockin’ Disco Bingo. Head over to Queen’s campus for a few rounds of bingo while DJs spin tunes. The fun runs from 8-11pm.
- The Loyal Oarsman and The Portsmouth Tavern: KFPL hosts Books and Beers, a bi-weekly book club where folks can discuss literature over a pint. The group meets the second Tuesday of the month at The Loyal Oarsman and the fourth Tuesday at The Ports at 7pm.
- Ben’s Pub: The Arrogant Worms’ Trevor Strong hosts an eclectic night of song sharing and jamming called “A Bunch of People Sitting Around a Bar Playing Songs” – this is the short/original version of the title that changes weekly. Tunes go from about 9-11pm.
- The Alibi: Gather up a team of up to 5 people and head to Alibi for a fun night of Trivia. Doors open at 8pm and the game runs from 9-10:30pm.
- The Grad Club: This weekly open mic has been a Kingston staple for years and has been responsible for the creation of many great bands. Bring your instrument and join in or just enjoy some off-the-cuff jamming to celebrate hump day.
- The Rose and Crown: Another great open mic/jam and musical staple on the other end of town is hosted by Tom Savage from 8:30-11pm.
- Royal Tavern: A weekly open mic/jam that is all-welcoming and ever-changing. Come to play or to dance. The tunes start at 9pm.
- The Brass: Kingston legend singer/songwriter/crowd pleaser, Jay Smitty Smith helps us welcome Friday starting at 11pm.
- The Grad Club: This Queen’s bar has been a longtime host to its famous Trivia Night. Celebrate the day before Friday. The fun begins at 9pm.
- The Merchant: Always a popular spot on a Thursday night, The Merchant features The Trevor Walsh Group playing a great mix of Celtic, Rock and Folk music, covers and originals.
- The RCHA: Live music of varying genres goes all weekend starting at 8:30pm until 11pm on Thursdays. Check out their site to find out who’s playing this week.
- The Toucan: CFRC’s DJ Scott spins tunes starting around 10pm.
- The Merchant: Check their listings to find out who will be rockin’ the stage this week.
- Monte’s: TGIF! Head straight to Monte’s from the office for some end-of-the-week live jazz. The bands vary so check their listings to see who’s playing this week.
- The RCHA: The tunes continue from 8:30pm-12am. See their website for listings.
- The Mansion: Live bands of all kinds from local musicians to touring acts. Check out their site for current listings.
- The Merchant: Also a home to live music on Saturdays from local to not-so-local groups. The schedule is on their site.
- The RCHA: The party continues with more live music from 8:30pm-12am. The bands change up each week with The Kingston Blues Society jam running the third week of each month. Always great music, great people and a great time.
- Ben’s Pub: Meditate on the week ahead with a Drum Circle. Join in or just listen. Bring an instrument or borrow one. All ages drumming goes from 8pm-10pm.
- The Alibi: Old Skool rap and hip hop starts spinning at 8pm.
- The Brass: Jay Smitty Smith will help you face another Monday with fun tunes starting at 11pm.
- The RCHA: The weekly folk club gathering begins at 8pm with sign up to perform at 7:30pm. Come to play or to listen.
- The Toucan: Hip Hop Sundays start at 10:30pm.
Thanks to Bragg’s Untrained Eye for today’s pic.