The City of Kingston is encouraging residents to attend the Grand Opening ceremony for the Artillery Park Aquatic Centre at 382 Bagot St. at noon on Thursday, May 1. Mayor Mark Gerretsen and Councillor Rob Hutchison will cut the ribbon to officially open the doors to this completely updated facility.
“I am excited and proud to officially re-open and celebrate this community-loved facility,” said Mayor Mark Gerretsen. “This space has been transformed to increase functionality and accessibility, allowing Kingstonians of all ages and abilities to enjoy the variety of recreation and fitness resources offered here. Artillery Park is a wonderful community hub we can all be proud of.”
In addition to being able to tour the facility, under construction since June 2012, residents can take advantage of opening week special offers:
- Memberships: 20 per cent off NEW one-year Fit Pass & Artillery Park Aquatic Centre memberships from May 1 to 7.
- Fitness Frenzy: from May 1 to 7 try activities for free before you sign-up to buy them. Programs offered to try include Aqua Zumba, Aqua Natal, Aqua Fit Energy, Fitness at Five, Tai Chi, Gentle Yoga, Weekend Warrior, Kinder Splash, Aqua Fit Energy, Stretch & Flex, Morning Yoga, K-Town Cardio Kick, A-PAC Body Attack, Quick Fit Lunch, Power Yoga, Zumba and more!
- Opening Weekend Aqua Treasure Hunt: from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. on May 3 and 4, join the treasure hunt in the Artillery Park Pool. Solve riddles and win prizes!
New Facility Features: more pools, more light and more change rooms
“We can’t wait to see the public’s reaction when they walk through the doors,” says Luke Follwell, Acting Director of Recreation & Leisure Services. “Artillery Park has always been loved by Kingston residents and, with the new upgrades and renovations, we look forward to servicing even more residents who will come here to swim, exercise, use the gymnasium or hold a meeting.”
New features include:
- Fully upgraded accessibility features
- Salt water treatment for lap and leisure pools
- New family, men’s and women’s pool change rooms
- New therapy/leisure pool with warmer water temperatures, bubble bench, spray features and ramped access
- Larger lobby and gathering areas outside the aquatic and fitness centres
- New sauna
- New cardio/weight room with cardio theatre and men’s and women’s dry change rooms
- Refurbished gymnasium with bouldering climbing wall and multi-purpose room
- More windows to increase sunlight in the facility
- Improved mechanical systems, including increased hot water capacity
- Enhanced HVAC systems
- More onsite parking
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, Media Relations Officer, 613-546-4291, ext. 3116. Or call Communications at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.