Ardath House, Wolfe Island, 1930s
Charles William Grant, the son of Marie-Charles Joseph Le Moyne (Baroness Longueuil), acquired the title of fifth Baron of Longueuil in 1841. He held numerous properties on Wolfe Island and in Kingston, including Alwington House and Ardath House, or “The Castle,” as Islanders called it, pictured above. Ardath House was a 25-room manor built in 1828 of local limestone and carved oak embellishments. The Longueuil baronial title was the only one to survive in Canada from the former French regime, having later been recognized and confirmed by Queen Victoria on appeal by the grandson of Charles Grant.